Wednesday 1 October 2014

CELEBRATING NIGERIA'S INDEPENDENCE

"Nigeria has no business with poverty. With our human and material resource, we shall strive to eradicate poverty from our country" - Olusegun Obasanjo.

 Today, Nigeria celebrates 54 years of independence. Today, we are reminded as a country of where we used to be, where we should have been if we had made the right choices, where we are now and where we hope to be. Our dream is to see a Nigeria filled with peace, brotherly love, respect for human life, selflessness and genuine patriotism amongst the citizenry.



We celebrate Nigeria's independence with this lovely poem from our team member (Olamide Oti).

We hope that you enjoy it.



I am She

I was doomed from the beginning.
Before I got a chance to know my family,
I was sold into slavery.
My father was royalty,
but when my new parents came,
He sold me off like a bale of cotton.

So, I became one of them.
Dressed like them,
Talked like them.
Ate, what they ate and quickly, I forgot my roots.
I was perfect at birth they said,
Ten fingers and toes all wonderfully made,
A headful of coarse black hair.
And no identity.

Throughout adolescence,
I was at war within myself.
I had many vices;
The love of money,
Of all things glittery and sweet
Of murder, drunkenness, and pride.
Many have died for me,
“For you”, they said, all for you.

I had an inheritance, but they took it all away, and called it theirs.
They named my streets after their sons while my father looked on unable to stop them.
My lands, my people, my crops…All gone!
My oil was my nemesis
It bubbled from within me
And came forth black, sweet and pleasant.
For a moment, it was my salvation,
Now, it seems it will be the death of me.
It is all I have left,
Until there is nothing left of me.
Today, I am coming of age
I weep for my sons, who have squandered it all,
For my daughters, who are struggling to rebuild me.

There is much to be grateful for,
For peace, however fragile,
For the seasons and for time,
For time, heals all wounds
I am in labour, while the world looks on
Each birth pang piercing through my core.
The world awaits a generation who will rejoice in my heritage,
Who will take back all that I have lost,
Who will reclaim my lost glory,
A generation that would not be ashamed to call me ‘mama’.

I am of many cultures woven loosely together.
Beautiful on the outside
Broken on the inside
Many wars rage on in my heart,
Those caused by beliefs, tribes and tongues that never agree.
The odds are against me, it would seem.
But, I am Nigeria,
I will thrive.



For more of Olamide's posts, kindly visit http://gabriellalove.wordpress.com.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment